Black Futures Lab 501(c3) works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity Black to the Future Action Fund, a separate 501(c4).
About the Role
We are looking for an Executive Assistant with a strong interest in racial and social justice issues to perform a variety of administrative tasks and work under the guidance of the Senior Advisor to provide support for the Principal.
Primary responsibilities include managing calendars, making travel arrangements, and preparing expense reports. To be successful in this role, you should be well-organized, have excellent time management skills, possess sound judgment, and work with absolute discretion.
Ultimately, you will contribute to the efficiency of our organization by providing personalized and timely support for our Principal.
This position is remote and reports to the Senior Advisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Calendar Management and Complex Travel / Event Coordination
- Under the direction of the Senior Advisor, coordinates the Principal’s schedule with a strong understanding of priorities and a focus on maximizing impact and workflow
- Acts as a key liaison and representative for the Executive Office
- Coordinates travel arrangements for the Principal
- Creates and distributes meeting notifications and manages correspondence and meeting execution with the highest level of accuracy, efficiency, and attention to detail
- Maintains an understanding of the current social/political environment
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Data Entry and Records Management
- Follows up on contacts made by the Principal and supports the cultivation of ongoing relationships
- Tracks and reconciles all expenses on behalf of the Principal
- Updates and maintains current information for all contacts
- Submits Principal’s timesheets and invoices
- Collaborates with the Senior Advisor and other departments to produce and/or collect accurate data for reports and other actionable items
- Manages and updates shared files with briefings, travel, meeting schedule, etc.
- Takes meeting notes and minutes and shares, as needed
Additional Administrative Support
- Supports special event invitation vetting and confirmation
- Provides logistical and administrative support for board meetings
- Completes first drafts for written communications to external stakeholders
- Reviews email requests and responds accordingly
- Uses a project management tool to ensure projects and tasks are progressing on schedule
- Travels independently and with the Principal (25%) in support of engagements
- Supports other requests including coordinating meals, booking appointments, supporting and tracking Principal’s charitable activities (personal donations), etc.
- A minimum of 3-6 years of experience supporting senior/C-suite executive(s) – nonprofit/social justice organization experience is required
- Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise absolute discretion
- Significant experience crafting internal and external client/partner communications
- Expert proficiency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), G-Suite (Gmail, Google Docs, Drive, and Calendar), Zoom, Monday.com, Mailchimp, and Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent verbal, written, research, communication and deck creation skills
- Demonstrated alignment with Black Futures Lab / Black to the Future Action Fund’s mission, and a strong commitment to racial and/or social justice
- Detail oriented + organized
- Ability to prioritize competing projects and multi-task across a broad spectrum of collaborators, based in various geographic locations
- Able to work independently with a proactive approach
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, external partners and donors
Top-notch organization skills. If your books are in alphabetical order, your notes utilize colors with specific meanings, and you find to-do lists energizing, we want to talk to you! There’s a lot to keep track of in this role, and nothing can fall through the cracks. Meeting deadlines is key.
Exceptional problem-solving skills. A successful candidate will enjoy thinking on their feet and will know how to apply sound judgment and rationale to any situation. They will also need to be adept at anticipating needs and barriers.
Accessibility. The work doesn’t always happen during traditional office hours. A successful candidate will need to be accessible via text or phone to resolve urgent concerns as they arise – which is sometimes after 5PM or on weekends.
This is a remote position with co-working sessions and quarterly in-person meetings.
Compensation and Benefits
The estimated salary range is $80,000 – $90,000 annually. This is a full-time position. Black Futures Lab / Black to the Future Action Fund offers comprehensive benefits packages including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, employee assistance and other resources to support a centered, healthy quality of life for staff and their families.
Visit this website to apply: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=c858a322-00a0-4526-9713-59699ec1e4bf&ccId=9200104414316_2&jobId=464742&source=CC2&lang=en_US
Submit a resume and answers to the following questions in .pdf format through this job portal. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
1. Do you view this position as a gatekeeper or bridge builder? Why? (in 150 words or less)
2. Where do you think you’ll excel with this position? (in 150 words or less)
3. Where do you think you’ll have difficulty with this position? (in 150 words or less)
4. Tell us about you (in 180 characters or less)
Black Futures Lab contracts with Resilient Strategies LLC for backend and operational support including hiring and employment. Resilient Strategies is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Folks who are queer, trans, non-binary, Black, Indigenous, people of color, disabled, parents, are/have been system-impacted, are immigrants, and anyone who has experienced systemic oppression and/or gender-based violence are encouraged to apply. Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.