The Black Futures Lab 501(c3) works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve while building political power at the local, state, and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
The Black Futures Lab is hiring for a Communications Associate position. This is a shared position with Black Futures’ sister organization, Black to the Future Action Fund, a separate 501(c4).
The Communications Associate supports the implementation of both the organization’s overall multi-channel communications strategy and specific campaigns of the organization. This role is responsible for conveying the organization’s voice and perspective through clear, concise, and powerful written products that will reach media entities, partners, funders, supporters, and community members. The Communications Associate reports directly to the Communications Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conceive and produce internal and external communication materials and publications with a heavy emphasis on writing for web, email, and reports
- Develop digital outreach materials to increase engagement, target audiences, and brand visibility
- Implement project or campaign-specific strategic communication plans
- Prepare detailed content performance reports
- Develop and manage an editorial calendar
- Design and execute successful campaigns and perform analysis of and debrief campaign performance.
- Create briefs for designer to generate graphics and other collateral
- Identify and present opportunities for consistency in messaging across all channels
- Work closely with department leads to implement effective campaigns with clear quantitative and qualitative goals
- Analyze content performance metrics and use the analysis to inform future work and strategy development
- Support the organization’s Storytelling Program, including working with participants to craft narratives that appeal to media interest
- Stay up to date with latest communications best practices and technologies
- Contribute to and/or lead special projects
- At least 3 years of communications, marketing, and public relations experience with documented outcome
- At least 2 years of experience working with Black communities
- Experience producing materials for digital and print communications, including websites, reports, and email campaigns
- Expert knowledge of email marketing platforms with documented successes
- Self-motivated, flexible individual with strong leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal skills
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proven experience with a variety of writing styles for a variety of mediums, with a strong preference for a proven track-record building successful content strategies and campaigns
- A nuanced understanding of the current and historical Black organizing political landscape
- Ability to connect with, engage and document the stories of the organization, Black leaders, activists, and people from different communities
- A strong ability to raise the profile of the organization and its projects and grow the intended target audiences
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and themes, especially as it relates to politics, in a way that is accessible and digestible by laypeople
- Strong grasp of the organization’s tone of voice and brand
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to meet deadlines, forecast, and reprioritize as needed
- Detail-oriented with strong proofreading skills
- Proven success implementing communications strategies and campaigns
- Strong knowledge of current communication practices and techniques
- Ability to use project management software and follow department processes to maintain transparency around work/project status and consistently meet deadlines
- Ability to support an environment of staff engagement by providing consistent and effective feedback, guidance, and opportunities to engage in structured and unstructured professional development
- Works well as part of a team and independently
- Willing to offer new and innovative ideas
- Experience working with LGBTQOC communities
- Experience tracking and capturing analytics, and analyzing data to optimize future content and strengthen content development strategy
Ability to adjust schedule and work evenings and weekends, as needed.
This position is remote. Work hours are 10 am – 6 pm local time and may be adjusted to accommodate team members in other time zones. In-person quarterly meetings are required.
To protect yourself and others, COVID-19 vaccinations are strongly encouraged.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Pay for this position is commensurate with experience and responsibilities. The estimated salary range for this position is $80,000 – $85,000. We offer a competitive health benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, and a generous paid time off schedule. This position is full-time, 40 hours per week.