Senior Advisor to the Principal
The Black Futures Lab (c3) works to make Black communities powerful in politics. We transform Black communities into constituencies that wield independent, political power at the municipal, state, and federal level. The problems our communities face are complex; the solutions to those problems require imagination, experimentation, and political power. We advance strategies that help us imagine the alternatives we deserve, while building political power at the local, state and national level in order to implement those alternatives.
This position is shared with our sister entity Black to the future Action fund a separate 501c4.
This Senior Advisor will act as a strategic thought partner to the Principal and support the Principal to advance the organizations’ vision, impact and efficiency. This role will also be charged with identifying strategic and integrative approaches for the Principal to interface and maximize external touch points.
Due to COVID, this position is remote, and reports to the Principal. The Senior Advisor will also manage the Executive Manager to the Principal.
Leadership & Relationship Management
- Oversee complex and rapidly changing daily, weekly and longer-term strategic priorities for the Principal’s office
- Serve as the internal hub for the Principal’s workflow by developing and implementing processes, systems, and norms to ensure effective workflow management
- Own daily, weekly and quarterly workflow digests, ensuring all requests for the Principal’s review, feedback, and input are triaged, tracked, and communicated accordingly. The Senior Advisor role will work closely with the Executive Manager to the Principal to ensure these tasks are being managed to completion
- Oversee the flawless execution of internal and external meetings and engagements; research on Principal’s appearances and meetings, preparing necessary documents for meetings
- Accompany Principal (and in some cases attend in lieu of) to key stakeholder meetings, prepare follow-up documents and coordinate with internal staff and external partners to ensure relevant actions are being managed to outcome
- Ensure Principal’s time and strategic engagement is being maximized and optimally leveraged
- Direct and execute on the tactical implementation of the Principal’s vision and engagement strategy
- Help the Principal proactively build and maintain high-level relationships, and regularly identify connections between external stakeholders and key projects
- Serve as key advisor for external engagements; special projects and oversight of the team that manages the Principal’s calendar, priorities, and workflow
Strategy Development and Execution
- Work with the Principal and Director of Operations and Finance to continue to evolve the organization’s strategic roadmap through highly effective executive leadership and leadership team meetings and retreats
- Monitor industry trends, conduct competitive intelligence, and evaluate external factors on an ongoing basis
- Provide strategic leadership to strengthen, realign, and/or develop program goals and priorities that advance Black to the Future Action Fund and Black Futures Lab’s mission and goals
- Provide critical updates and information across leadership team
- Travel independently and with the Principal (30%) in support of engagements
- Oversee impeccable logistics, advance and production support for the Principal’s speaking engagements
- Manage and lead briefing and debriefing the Principal for upcoming travel and events
- Oversee the special event invitation process and confirmations, vetting requests and strategic content
- Partner with the Executive Manager to the Principal to support the Principal’s portfolio of activities and travel/personal needs
The ideal candidate will be incredibly passionate about racial and social justice issues and possess unparalleled emotional intelligence, coupled with highly effective written skills and an overzealous attention to detail and efficiency.
Specific qualifications include:
- 10+ years of professional experience, with at least 5 years of direct management experience
- Demonstrated program and/or project management skills and significant internal and external stakeholder/partnership experience (nonprofit/social justice organization experience strongly preferred)
- Impeccable verbal, written, research, communication and deck creation skills and experience
- A strong structural racial analysis in agreement with Black Futures Lab and Black to the Future Action Fund’s vision and values
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to communicate complex ideas in clear, concise terms (verbally and written)
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written – with demonstrated ability to write persuasive memos, concept papers, and PowerPoint presentations
- Ability to exercise independent judgment and take initiative in an environment with shifting priorities
- High level proficiency in MS Office, Google Suite, and social media platforms
- Ability to prioritize competing projects and multi-task across a broad spectrum of collaborators, based in various office locations or working remotely
- Able to work independently in a face-paced environment, with a proactive approach
- Dedication and ability to work flexible hours, and travel (30%)
- Commitment to confidentiality and ability to exercise absolute discretion
Salary is commensurate with experience, and Black Futures Lab and Black to the Future Action Fund also offers a competitive benefits package. This is a full-time exempt position. Salary range is $90,000 – 100,000.
How to Apply
Submit resume, cover letter, and submit three references. Open until filled.
Black Futures Lab is a fiscally sponsored project of the Chinese Progressive Association. Chinese Progressive Association is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, immigrants, youth, LGBT and differently-abled people are encouraged to apply.
Pursuant of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment.