The Black Futures Lab works to make Black communities powerful in politics. BFL transforms Black communities into constituencies that build and wield independent, progressive, Black political power. The problems facing Black communities are complex, and their solutions require innovation, experimentation and Black political power. To learn more about the Black Futures Lab, please visit www.blackfutureslab.org.
Description of the Position:
The Digital Organizer is responsible for developing, implementing, and evaluating online campaigns that engage Black communities on issues that impact our lives and encourages us to take action — online and offline. The Digital Organizer works closely with the Communications Director and the Organizing Director to ensure cohesion with our overall organizational strategies.
This position is remote.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilize social media platforms and texting programs to maximize digital list building
- Cultivate community online (i.e. Facebook groups) and explore how new social media platforms and features can be used for organizing
- Monitor online conversations and actively participate in them to build organization visibility and thought leadership
- Deepen BFL supporters sense of identity and involvement with the campaign and the organization, including online and offline engagement
- Develops and implements strategies to move supporters/community members up a ladder of engagement and deepen their investment in the organization
- Participate in evaluation of digital content and campaign metrics to guide and inform future content and strategies
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to other organizers and community members, helping them use technology and online outreach to further organizing goals
- Collaborate with Communications and Organizing leads to coordinate campaign goals, develop campaign concepts, and produce content, including emails, action pages, and social media posts to engage and mobilize supporters to take action
- Test, setup, and train staff/supporters to use texting, relational organizing, online advocacy and other software tools for organizing
- Help supporters share their stories through videos, images, writing, press interviews, and storytelling trainings, etc.
- Develop content for peer to peer text messaging, scripts for phone banking and other digital engagement
- Develop and execute paid media strategy
Required Skills and Proficiencies:
- A demonstrated commitment to racial justice, economic justice, and gender justice
- Cultural competency with Black communities
- At least 3-4 years experience in digital organizing
- A minimum of 3 years experience as a field organizer
- Proven experience with design and software used to do graphic design;
- Familiarity with the latest technologies, and best practices in the field;
- High-level proficiency with social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, as well as social media management platforms, like Sprout Social — and their features
- Familiarity with digital organizing tools like Hustle, EveryAction, Phone 2 Action, and Impactive
- Experience working across departments or teams within an organization;
- Literacy with G-suite;
- Must have experience growing a list, and proven experience capturing and tracking analytics, and using them to shape strategy
- Has a strong political network and relationships;
- Experience developing and successfully running paid digital programs;
- Independent and strong leader that is able to drive project and programs to completion in a fast-paced environment;
- Knowledge of trends of digital organizing and of best practices for communicating via email and social media platforms
- Experience developing digital strategy and content for issue-based, advocacy, or political campaigns;
- Excellent writing and communication skills with experience in creative, compelling prose that can move people to take action; with meticulous attention to consistency and detail. Must demonstrate experience writing for the web and social media;
- Results-focused and organized;
- Self-motivated – proven ability to work independently; and
- Ability to work outside of traditional hours as the need arises. This is not an ideal position for someone who seeks a 9a-5p job.
Salary and Benefits:
Commensurate with experience. Salary range is $75,000 – $85,000, based on experience. Medical and dental benefits included.
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter through the application portal at https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=c858a322-00a0-4526-9713-59699ec1e4bf&ccId=9200104414316_2&jobId=433336&source=CC2&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter
Applications received via email or outside of the designated process will not be considered.